Private Client 3-5 yr PQE PSL
The firm wishes to recruit a Private Client and Personal Tax professional support lawyer to join the Private Client Department, to work closely with our existing senior Professional Support Lawyer.
The successful candidate will have experience of the UK taxation of international and UK onshore high net worth individuals, inheritance tax and capital gains tax, as well as expertise in Wills, probate, lasting powers of attorney, mental capacity, trusts and charity formation. The role would suit someone wishing to work part time (3-4 days per week).
Duties and Responsibilities
The role will entail a broad range of activities, which may include:
- Proactively collecting items of know-how, assessing their usefulness and profiling them for inclusion in a taxonomised know-how database, and keeping them updated
- Understanding and being proficient in the use of the Firm's knowledge and research facilities, and promoting and facilitating fee earners’ use of such facilities
- Planning and arranging a training programme, delivering training and liaising with internal and external speakers as appropriate
- Mentoring and assisting with supervising/training junior members of the department.
- Providing support, guidance and advice to fee earners
- Highlighting to fee earners important developments in the practice area, analysing new developments or legislative changes to assist fee earners in understanding their legal implications and application to practice
- Drafting and maintaining precedents
- Identifying ways for improving working efficiencies and streamlining working practices
- Responding to HMRC and Government consultations
- Providing marketing and business development support, including identifying appropriate subjects for and the production of client briefings, articles and client seminars, both alone and together with fee earners and with the firm’s business development team
- Understanding and promoting the commercial imperatives of the Private Client department, and having an awareness of the Firm’s other practice areas and the work they do. Creating and developing opportunities for cross-selling of the Firm's services wherever possible
- Preparing submissions for the Legal Directories, garnering the necessary input from Partners and other fee-earners in the department
- Undertaking file audits
- Generally assisting and supporting the department’s senior Professional Support lawyer
You should have the following attributes:
- A strong academic and professional track record
- The desire and ability to keep abreast with changes in legislation and market developments
- A confident, personable nature
- Strong motivation and a self-starting nature, committed to promoting and encouraging a collective approach and a knowledge-sharing culture
- The ability to be proactive and reactive in addressing the requirements of Partners and other fee-earners
- Good communications skills and an ability to work as part of a team
The Private Client department
The Private Client department has two sections, the legal section and the tax and trust section. The legal section consists of solicitors and legal executives (the latter specialising exclusively in probate and estate administration), and the trust and tax section comprises qualified and unqualified trust and tax accountants and practitioners. Across the sections we work closely together on our clients' affairs so as to provide a seamless service.
The department, numbering 43, comprises 8 Partners, 10 Associates, 2 Chartered Legal Executives, 1 senior Professional Support Lawyer, 9 Tax and Trust Managers, 1 Trainee Solicitor, 4 Apprentices and 7 Secretaries.
Payne Hicks Beach is a 39partner firm of solicitors based in offices in New Square, Lincoln’s Inn. In total the firm comprises about 200 staff. The firm provides specialist legal services to private and commercial clients. We are very well known for our family, litigation and private client work and are widely regarded as one of the very best of the small number of firms in the UK who provide these specialist services at the highest level. We also have an excellent reputation in many other areas of law (rated in both Chambers and Legal 500).
More information about the departments and the work of the firm may be found on our website, the address of which is www.phb.co.uk
|Salary:||To be discussed|
|Other benefits:||4x Life Assurance|
|Permanent Health Insurance|
|Medical Insurance (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|BUPA Cashplan (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|BUPA Health Assessment (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|Pension Scheme. The firms contributes to a Personal Pension Plan|
|Interest free season ticket loan after 3 months|
|Cycle to Work Scheme|
We are an equal opportunities employer.