Private Client NQ Accountant Job Description
The firm wishes to recruit a newly qualified accountant into the tax and trust section of the Private Client department. This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding team and to manage the compliance and administration for an established portfolio of clients, working closely with managers and other fee earners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the preparation of accounts for trusts and charitable organisations
- Tax computations and tax return preparation
- Producing meeting papers for client meetings
- Trust compliance including registrations and inheritance tax forms as required
- Assisting with more complex tax advisory and compliance work on ad hoc assignments when called upon by senior managers and partners
- Assisting with training of junior members of staff
- Ability to be proactive and reactive in addressing clients' affairs and requirements
- Strong communications skills and an ability to work as part of a team, including with our private client lawyers and other professionals within and outside this firm
- Achieve minimum time targets and meet regular billing requirements
- Ability to keep abreast with changes in legislation and market developments
- Good IT skills and preferably a working knowledge of CCH Trust Accounts and CCH Personal Tax
- Knowledge of trust accounting and tax, including specialist areas such as landed estates and charitable organisations (knowledge of SORP would be beneficial)
- Experience in preparing Inheritance Tax returns
- Knowledge of personal taxation and experience dealing with tax compliance
- Knowledge of trust and tax compliance for trustees especially the Trust Registration Service
- Experience in corresponding with HMRC is welcome but not a pre-requisite
- Experience with ATED returns and filings
- An understanding of estate, offshore and indirect taxation matters
- A professional qualification(s), such as AAT, ATT, ACA, ACCA, CTA or TEP. Preferably newly qualified with 1 – 3 year’s post qualification experience. Other relevant qualifications or experience will be considered as appropriate.
The Private Client Department
The Private Client department has two sections, the legal section and the tax and trust section. The two teams work closely together on our clients' affairs so as to provide a seamless service.
The legal section comprises solicitors, legal executives and secretaries. There are currently seven partners, one senior professional support lawyer, eight senior associates and one associate, two chartered legal executives (specialising exclusively in probate and estate administration),one trainee solicitor and one apprentice in the section.
The trust and tax section consists of thirteen qualified and unqualified tax and accounting practitioners, including two Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisers, three apprentices and two secretaries.
The Client Base
Whilst there is no such thing as a typical client, the profile of clients who are looked after by both sections of the department are wealthy families who normally have a number of family trusts and grant making charitable trusts which are managed by the trust and tax section. The values of the trusts range from £1m to £250m with funds invested in a wide range of assets including quoted investments, bespoke open ended investment companies, hedge funds, landed estates, residential and commercial property, commercial property funds and heritage property. Although the majority of our clients are of British nationality, there is a substantial offshore, foreign and international aspect to our practice. We act for both entrepreneurs who have generated their own wealth, and families whose assets have accumulated over the generations.
Payne Hicks Beach is a 38 partner firm of solicitors based in offices in New Square, Lincoln’s Inn. In total the firm comprises about 190 staff. The firm provides specialist legal services to private and commercial clients. We are best known for our family, litigation and private client work and are widely regarded as one of the very best of the small number of firms in the UK who provide these specialist services at the highest level. We also have an excellent reputation in many other areas of law (rated in both Chambers and Legal 500).
More information about the departments and the work of the firm may be found on our website, the address of which is www.phb.co.uk
|Salary:||To be discussed|
|Other benefits:||4x Life Assurance|
|Permanent Health Insurance|
|Medical Insurance (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|BUPA Cashplan (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|BUPA Health Assessment (after 1 year qualifying period)|
|Pension Scheme. The firms contributes to a Personal Pension Plan|
|Interest free season ticket loan after 3 months|
|Cycle to Work Scheme|