Ian is a family law specialist with wide experience of assisting clients through the process of separation and divorce. He adopts a constructive approach to resolving disputes and is a skilled negotiator. Ian's cases often involve complex international considerations, commercial issues and trust arrangements. He regularly advises clients from the USA, Russia, Europe and the Middle East.
In addition, Ian has considerable experience negotiating and drafting involving pre and post marital agreements.
Ian also advises in relation to disputes concerning children including living arrangements, international relocation and financial issues for married and unmarried parents (Schedule 1).
Ian has trained as a collaborative lawyer and is a member of Resolution. He previously worked as a specialist family lawyer in Bermuda and in the Cayman Islands. Prior to that, he was a Partner in Mundays in Surrey.
Ian's reported cased of interest include:
- R -v- K  - EWFC 59 (Concerning whether liabilities had been fabricated by the husband in an attempt to defeat the wife's claims and a successful application for "add-back").
- Kerman -v- Ahkmedova  EWCA Civ 307 (Where the Court of Appeal reviewed the principles of Legal Professional Privilege).
- AAZ -v- BBZ  EWHC 3234 (Fam) (Financial remedy to proceedings leading to a successful award of over £453m to a wife).
- AH -v- PH (Scandinavian marriage settlement)  EWHC 3873 (Fam) (Application by wife for financial remedies in circumstances where the parties had entered into a pre-nuptial agreement)
- H -v- S (Recognition of Overseas Divorce)  EWHC (Fam) (Recognition of a Saudi Arabian divorce (talaq) for the purpose of English divorce and Part III claim under M FPA 1984).
- Grubb -v- Grubb  EWCA Civ 976 (Occupation Order under s.33(6) FLA 1996).
Ian featured in the Citywealth List 2016 of Top 10 Family Lawyers with high profile child law cases.
Qualified 1992, joined Payne Hicks Beach 2008, promoted to senior associate 2012, partner 2014.
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES
SPEAR'S FAMILY LAW INDEX