High Net Worth Individuals - Investors
The UK is consistently chosen by high net worth individuals and their families for its appeal as a global commercial hub, with a thriving property market, advantageous tax regime and unrivalled education system.
The UK Investor visa scheme is a highly attractive immigration category. The scheme allows an investor and their family to live in the UK if they have funds of at least £2million. Unlike virtually all other immigration categories, there is no English language requirement at entry stage and investors and their family are allowed to work, establish a business, and study.
Some of the key requirements are:
- Funds of at least £2million;
- Minimum age of 18 for the investor visa holder;
- Funds held consistently for two years prior to application, or supply specific evidence of the source of funds;
- Must have a UK bank account at the date of application - which includes a wealth management organisation regulated by the FCA/PRA;
- Funds do not have to be in the UK at the date of application but must be freely transferrable to the UK;
- The investor can bring their spouse/partner and any children under the age of 18 with them without any additional investment;
- Fast track routes to Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) if you invest £5million or £10million;
- Funds must remain invested until the grant of Indefinite Leave to Remain;
- Absences from the UK of no more than 180 days per year for Indefinite Leave to Remain;
- Test of knowledge of English language and life in the UK at the Indefinite Leave to Remain stage.
Normally, it takes five years to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK which can then lead to British Citizenship one year later. However one feature of the investor category is that if an applicant invests more, they can obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain earlier. The time period is shortened to only three years with an investment of £5million, or two years with an investment of £10million. It should be noted that this reduced timescale only applies to the investor, not necessarily to dependants, who must usually complete five years residence before obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain. For an investor on the £5million or £10million route, British Citizenship can then be obtained after five years residence, instead of six.
The investor category has been the subject of recent Home Office scrutiny, having been amended significantly on four occasions in just over five years. Most recently the Home Office removed the ability to invest in UK Government bonds for those who apply after 28 March 2019. More changes are anticipated. We understand that staying abreast of the changes is of paramount importance.
Kathryn Bradbury is noted for her expertise in advising high net worth clients. Kathryn has been consistently recommended in Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500. She is listed in the Spear's 500 Wealth Management 2018 "Best Immigration Lawyers" Index, in which it was noted that: "Barrister sources say she 'probably handles more Tier 1 investor visas than any solicitor in this country'".
Our Citizenship & Immigration department works closely with our Private Client department to ensure that the immigration options take into account the best tax planning strategy for our clients. We also work alongside other professional advisors such as investment managers, accountants, property and educational consultants to provide a comprehensive service.
PRACTITIONERS IN THIS FIELD
AWARDS AND ACCREDITATIONS
LEGAL 500 UK
CITYWEALTH MAGIC CIRCLE AWARDS
SHORTLISTED: Immigration Law Firm of the Year
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES
- Corporate Immigration - Sponsorship for Employers
- Corporate raiding and international protection
- EU Nationals and Family Members
- High Net Worth Individuals - Investors
- Human rights, judicial review and removal
- International Protection and exceptional cases
- Partners & Other Family Members
- Setting Up A Business - Start Ups, Innovators & Representatives of Overseas Businesses
- Students and Parents of Children at School in the UK
- Tier 1 Exceptional Talent