Contentious Trusts & Probate
"They are a traditional firm who will have a real focus on private client issues and will have many experienced litigators in the team."Chambers HNW
"Excellent, quick and clear advice. The team does not just find problems but actually focuses on finding solutions; it is an impressive practice..."The Legal 500 UK
Trust law and probate disputes are becoming increasingly international with greater scope for disagreement.
As one of the leading firms in the country in this area we are able to unlock difficult inheritance and Trust disputes. Sometimes the disagreement is between trustees and beneficiaries, but often complex issues are involved such as rights governed by multi-national jurisdictions asserted over the same property.
Our work includes:
- Handling UK trust and estate disputes and the co-ordination of multi-jurisdictional disputes relating to ownership of assets
- Resolving conflicts between beneficiaries and trustees or executors and between trustees and protectors
- Advising executors when faced with claims by disappointed beneficiaries
- Dealing with defective or unclear wills or trust documents
- Advising trustees on their duties and obligations to individuals and authorities
- Advising beneficiaries on the enforcement of their rights
- Obtaining court directions for trustees in both hostile and non-contentious circumstances.
In disputes of this nature, resolving the conflict with the minimum of time and expense is essential as is having an expertise in this complicated area of the law. We always explore ways to resolve problems and examine all alternatives before resorting to litigation.
The Contentious Trusts & Probate Team is ranked in Chambers HNW 2019 and The Legal 500 UK 2020 law directories.
Chambers HNW writes that the team acts for HNW families, trustees, protectors, wealthy beneficiaries and landed estates in range of private wealth disputes. One source comments: "They are a traditional firm who will have a real focus on private client issues and will have many experienced litigators in the team.” The firm also has experience handling offshore disputes and is specifically recognised for acting some of the UK's oldest and largest landed estates. A market expert reports that "they represent some seriously wealthy clients and will have a stellar track record of achieving favourable settlements for a long list of HNW clients over a long time."
The Legal 500 UK comments that the team at Payne Hicks Beach provides ‘excellent, quick and clear advice. It does not just find problems but actually focuses on finding solutions’; it is ‘an impressive practice that is acting in high-value and prestigious cases, and handles both onshore and offshore work well’.
If you are interested in our Dispute Resolution Solutions relating to Trusts Disputes, please click here
PRACTITIONERS IN THIS FIELD
AWARDS AND ACCREDITATIONS
Legal 500 UK
STEP Private Client Awards
Contentious Trusts & Estates Team of the Year (midsize firm)
e Private Client
TOP 25 LAW FIRM
Solicitors Journal Awards
STEP Private Client Awards
Private Client Legal Team of the Year (midsize firm)
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES
- Advising Vulnerable Clients
- Art and Heritage
- Citizenship & Immigration
- Contentious Trusts & Probate
- Family Offices
- Family Owned Businesses
- International Tax & Trusts
- Landed Estates & Agriculture
- Middle East
- Residence & Domicile
- Residential Property
- Tax Planning
- Trusts & Divorce
- UK Trusts
- Wills & Estate Planning