Private Client Department Secretary
Payne Hicks Beach LLP is a 45 partner firm of solicitors based in offices at 10 New Square, Lincoln’s Inn. In total the firm comprises about 200 staff. The firm provides specialist legal services to private and commercial clients. We are best known for our family and private client work and are widely regarded as one of the very best of the small number of firms in the UK who provide these specialist services at the highest level. We also have an excellent reputation in many other areas of law (rated in both Chambers and Legal 500).
Our offices are located in one of the finest squares in London, in a building which the firm has occupied since 1770.
More information about the departments and the work of the firm may be found on our website, the address of which is www.phb.co.uk
The Private Client department
The Private Client department has two sections, the legal section and the trust and tax section. These two sections work closely together on our clients’ affairs so as to provide a seamless service.
The legal section comprises solicitors, legal executives and secretaries. The trust and tax section consists of qualified and unqualified trust and tax accountants and practitioners, four apprentices and secretaries. We have four Chartered Tax Advisers and three Chartered Accountants within the team.
The Department is looking to recruit an experienced and confident secretary to join the team of six secretaries.
Your key duties will include, but will not be limited to;
- Liaising with clients both face to face and over the phone
- Audio/copy typing, including digital dictation
- Preparing and sewing/binding deeds and Wills
- File opening and compliance support
- Assisting/supporting solicitors, accountants and other fee earners within the department
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- General administrative duties
- Diary management
- Document management
- Maintaining all filing systems effectively
We expect our secretaries to be “secretaries/PAs” not typists. We are therefore looking for a well organised, intelligent individual with an excellent telephone manner who can deal with clients and members of the firm at all levels, who can act with discretion when dealing with confidential information and who is well presented at all times.
The ideal candidate should have previous legal experience within Private Client.
You must have excellent IT skills in Word and Excel. You will need to be able to demonstrate initiative, have the ability to work in a small team and pay strong attention to detail
A well organised secretary who is able to work under pressure and able to work to deadlines, with concise writing skills, spelling, punctuation and proof reading skills would suit this role.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about providing exceptional client service.
- Copes effectively in demanding circumstances.
- The integrity to handle highly confidential information appropriately.
- Have the ability to use own initiative to adapt, and think laterally.
- The ability to pick up unfamiliar work quickly and be proactive.
- Self-motivated and goal focussed, you will enjoy change and variety, and thrive under pressure.
- Technically advanced in Word and Excel.
- Experience of SOS Connect, Winscribe, BigHand, Nuance/Kofax and iManage would be advantageous
- Self-motivated and able to organise own work with minimum supervision.
- Computer literacy
- Good time management, adopting a flexible approach to work.
- Demonstrates persistence and commitment to completing tasks and objectives.
- Delivers work output to the required standard.
- Attention to detail and quality of work.
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with others and is seen as ‘approachable’.
- Operates effectively as part of a team.
- Willing to offer help to other colleagues to ensure efficient running of the department
- Fast and accurate typing speed (65 words per minute).
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills and strong evidence of business writing and numeracy skills.
- 4x Life Assurance
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Medical Insurance (after successful completion of probation period)
- BUPA Cashplan (after successful completion of probation period)
- BUPA Health Assessment (after successful completion of probation period)
- BUPA Dental
- Auto enrolment in the firm’s Group Personal Pension Scheme (after 1 complete calendar month qualifying period).
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme and Introduction Bonus Scheme
- Interest free season ticket loan after 3 months
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Holiday Purchase
- Wellbeing Programme
How to apply