Legal Advice for Family Businesses
A full services private client focussed law firm, we provide advice and support to business owners at all stages of their journey.
Setting up your Business
Whether you are setting up on your own or with others, we have a wide range of services to ensure that you have the right structure from the outset.
- Advising on the tax and structuring options available to you and your business;
- Establishing companies, trusts and partnerships – including family investment companies;
- Preparing bespoke Articles of Association and Shareholders’ and Partnership Agreements to reflect your particular circumstances and to future proof your business holding and investments.
Family Governance and Succession Planning
Once the entity is established, we provide ongoing support including:
- Acting as a trustee, company director and/or company secretary;
- Administering trusts and companies to ensure they are legally and tax compliant;
- Advising on optimum tax and estate planning structuring for your family and working with you on long term succession planning (notably the involvement of next generations);
- Making, administering and exiting investments;
- Providing oversight of the business including:
- liaising with investment advisors and carrying out related tax reporting;
- overseeing and administering family wealth; and
- coordinating third party advice, for example international legal and accountancy advice.
The sale of a business is often a key part of a business founder’s long term aim and is a major event in a business’ life cycle.
Planning for an exit starts well before a purchaser is found and brings with it a host of issues which may not have previously been considered.
Our work with shareholders incudes:
- Advising on the structuring options available prior to exit, including tax and succession planning optimisation for shareholders;
- Establishing trusts to hold sale proceeds;
- Preparing the business for sale; and
- Negotiating and advising on the terms of the sale and the sale documentation.