Wills and Estate Planning
Have you made a Will in the last 5 years? If not, read on.
Wills form a central part of estate planning. If you haven’t made one, or if your Will has been revoked by marriage, impacted by divorce, or is simply out of date because of changes in your circumstances, your estate may be governed by rules that are outside of your control, including the rules of intestacy, matrimonial property regimes or private international law. Your beneficiaries may have an unnecessarily and entirely avoidable tax burden. Worst of all, your assets, your business interests and your family may be torn apart by a dispute. All these things can be planned for in a well drafted Will.
In helping you make a Will, we will help you review your affairs so as to ensure proper management of your assets to support you during their lifetime as well as making provision for your chosen beneficiaries after death. We will also consider with you whether a lifetime giving plan is in order in your circumstances, and help you make best use of the available inheritance tax exemptions, and review your life insurance options with you.
Typically, our advice may cover:
- Wills, inheritance and succession matters, including lifetime planning to mitigate taxation on death
- Gifts to Charity or philanthropic causes, including as necessary setting up bespoke Charities
- Foreign matrimonial property and succession laws, liaising as necessary with lawyers in other relevant jurisdictions
- Review of life policy and pension scheme death in service benefits to ensure tax efficiency
- Advice on all types of powers of attorney and advance medical directives (“living wills”)
- Applications to the Court of Protection for statutory wills for incapacitated persons or for permission for attorneys to undertake lifetime planning on their behalf
Payne Hicks Beach’s private client team is ranked in Chambers HNW 2021. Quotes include, “they’re always very efficient, they give good advice and they are easy to deal with…their advice is clear, objective and understandable.” A source says, “you can tell that they care about their clients by looking at the quality of their work product…they take the time to address all questions to make sure everyone at the table understands what is going on. They go above and beyond. They’re a fantastic firm.”