"Class act and star of the future"..."extremely personable and charming and courteous"..."Ben has an enormous amount of energy that he brings to cases, and clients clearly love him for it. He gets things done fast and this often steals a march on his opponents."Chambers HNW
Ben advises on all aspects of family law including: children, divorce/civil partnership, co-habitation, pre/post nuptial agreements, complex financial disputes and jurisdictional issues. He has dealt with a number of cases involving the relocation of children and on matters involving same-sex parents. A significant number of his cases have an international element.
Ben read law at Merton College, Oxford. He trained at Mishcon de Reya and joined Payne Hicks Beach on qualification in 2008. He was promoted to senior associate in 2015 and partner in 2018
Between 2009 and 2013 Ben delivered a legal aid and legal skills training project at the National University of Rwanda. When able, he assists/advises students at BPP Law School’s Pro Bono Clinic (Family).
Cases of interest include:
- Al M:
- The Legal Services Order  EWHC 303;
- Court of Appeal Foreign Act of State Judgment  EWCA Civ 129;
- Re Al M – Approved judgment  EWHC 915;
- The Immunities Judgment  EWHC 660;
- The Fact Finding Judgment - Hacking  EWHC 1162;
- The Court of Appeal Immunities (permission to appeal) Judgment  EWCA Civ 890;
- The Lives With judgment  EWHC 1577;
- The Court of Appeal Fact Finding (permission to appeal) Judgment  EWCA Civ 900;
- The Court of Appeal Fact Finding Judgment  EWCA Civ 1216;
- The Non-Molestation Judgment  EWHC 3305;
- The Foreign Act of State Judgment  EWHC 2883;
- Publication judgment  EWHC 122;
- Assurances and Waiver judgment  EWHC 67;
- Publication - Appeal  EWCA Civ 283;
- Fact finding judgment  EWHC 3415.
- TP v PRBP  EWHC 2433 (Fam) (High Court): the Court was concerned with whether the husband (acting in person) lacked mental capacity to conduct litigation
- Work v Gray (Court of Appeal)  EWCA Civ 270
- X v X  EWHC 3512 (Fam): considering whether a previous judgment should remain anonymised
- X v X (application for a financial remedies order)  EWHC 1995 (Fam)
- Work v Gray (Phase II: Computation and Distribution)  EWHC 562
- Work v Gray  EWHC 834 (Fam)
- Chai v Khoo (aka Peng)  EWHC 1519 (Fam)
Awards, accolades and testimonials
- The Legal 500 UK 2022: Ben is ranked as a “Next Generation Partner”. “sharp and thoughtful, with an inventive mind which looks for and finds creative but positive solutions to the cases that he is involved in” “a ball of energy, engaging, committed and commercially savvy. Can charm the birds out of the trees, a great skill in this area”
- Chambers HNW 2021: Ben is listed as a "Leading Individual" - "incredibly good at putting clients at ease." "He can talk equally well to financially naive people and titans of industry." Parry-Smith represents high net worth clients in complex divorce and children matters. An interviewee notes: "He is great, he is always very thorough. He has a very tactical brain."
- Chambers UK 2021: Ben is listed as a "Leading Individual" - Ben Parry-Smith acts on a broad range of family law matters, from cohabitation disputes and nuptial agreements to relocation and jurisdictional issues. "Ben is exceptionally bright and intelligent, one step ahead of the other side all the way through. I cannot speak highly enough of the personal attention that he gave to the matter at hand and the smaller details and his tactical awareness. He is absolutely great." "He is extremely energetic and confident. He is very enthusiastic and gives you a great deal of confidence; he instils confidence by his mastery of the case."
- The Legal 500 UK 2021: Ben is listed as a "Next Generation Partner" - "Ben Parry-Smith attracts great confidence from clients."
- Chambers HNW 2020: Ben is listed as "Up & Coming" - Ben Parry-Smith advises on the full range of family law cases and is "someone who has the most extraordinary energy for cases," a source says, adding that "he goes above and beyond the call of duty for his clients and he has great instincts for cases." A London barrister says Parry-Smith "instils confidence by his mastery of the case."
- Chambers HNW 2019: Ben is listed as "Up & Coming" - "Class act and star of the future" Ben Parry-Smith advises high net worth individuals on all aspects of family law. He is described as "extremely personable and charming and courteous" by barristers he works with. Another source enthuses: "Ben has an enormous amount of energy that he brings to cases, and clients clearly love him for it. He gets things done fast and this often steals a march on his opponents. He has a charming manner and much more experience than his level of solicitor would ordinarily have. He is used to dealing with high-profile clients and is not at all fazed by their at times obscure demands and requests."
- Chambers UK 2019: Ben is listed as "Up & Coming" - one source commends his "cracking judgment", adding: "even at the early stages, his instinctive feel for a case is very strong"
- The Legal 500 UK 2019: ranked as a Recommended Lawyer - Newly promoted partner Ben Parry-Smith is "supremely competent and gifted at negotiation"
- The Spear's 500 2019, 2020: Rising Star Family Lawyer: Young Turk with a focus on high value remedies, complex finances and private children law. Ben is described as having "spotless credentials"
- The Lawyer Hot 100 2019: Ben is listed in The Hot 100 Litigators 2019
- Spear’s Family Law Index 2018, 2019, 2020: Rising Star Family Lawyer: Young Turk
- The Legal 500 UK 2017: listed as a “Next Generation Lawyer” and comments that “the fearless, charming and pragmatic Ben Parry-Smith punches well above his weight and already does top-quality work - he is one to watch"
"Parry-Smith represents high net worth clients in complex divorce and children matters. He is great, he is always very thorough. He has a very tactical brain and is incredibly good at putting clients at ease." Chambers HNW 2021
"supremely competent and gifted at negotiation” The Legal 500 UK
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES
LEGAL 500 UK
NEXT GENERATION PARTNER
UP & COMING
THE SPEAR'S 500
RISING STAR FAMILY LAWYER
SPEAR'S FAMILY LAW INDEX
RISING STAR FAMILY LAWYER
CHAMBERS HNW AWARDS
SHORTLISTED: Rising Star
HOT 100 LITIGATORS