Landed Estates & Agriculture Solicitors
We are one of the few London firms of solicitors that remain fully committed to an agricultural practice alongside Landed Estates.
The range and depth of experience of our partners who specialise in agricultural work means that we are able to provide a seamless and wide ranging service to landowners. This often includes advice on key factors such as tax, finance, investment, succession and the structuring of property ownership.
The Landed Estates & Agriculture team is best known for:
- working for the owners of over 50 Landed Estates varying in size from 750 acres to well over 30,000 acres, some of which are worth over £300 million and many of which include houses and grounds that are open to the public. This work includes:
- buying and selling significant country houses and farmland across the country;
- first registrations of large tracts of land;
- advising on protection from trespass and the protection of mineral rights;
- assisting with diversification and development schemes, for example in relation to alternative energy systems;
- guiding clients through the difficult process of generational change and succession planning for Landed Estates including farming business reorganisations and the reorganisation of family trusts holding Landed Estates;
- advising on tax matters, in particular inheritance tax planning (in particular maximising agricultural and business property reliefs) and capital gains tax planning (including Business Asset Disposal relief – for as long as it lasts – and hold-over/roll-over reliefs);
- administering trusts holding Landed Estates and advising trustees and beneficiaries on all aspects of trust law, included the law relating to Settled Land Act settlements; and
- offering clients a dedicated, extensive and full service supported by partners, solicitors and trust administrators working on both the private client and property aspects of Landed Estate work.
Firm and Individual Lawyer rankings for the Private Client Department in The Legal 500 UK 2021. Winner of Private Client Firm of the Year category at The Legal 500 UK Awards 2020. STEP Awards shortlisted yearly for Private Client Team of the Year. Firm ranked in The Times Best Law Firms 2020. Eprivateclient Top 25 Law Firms; Solicitors Journal Private Client Team of the Year.